On fiction: blogging the writing course: shaky beginnings

With some fits and hiccups normal for a first go, the writing course at writeaboutdragons is going to start this coming Monday. Bit delayed, but that's expected, and what matters ultimately is getting some motivation to churn out text at a reliable rate.

Which would be a first for me. Took me a long while to get the first instalment of Rendezvous with NECA uploaded, and further parts will not come easier, that's for sure. Speaking of which, while I did not do a detail outline, I did look more into what the story will turn out to be. And decided to abandon- or rather, shift- my initial direction. Let's see what happens. I have a good idea of the ending, and the beginning. Turns out I often do underpants gnome style plotting. The middle will be a problem. One of the characters in particular.

Not all is peachy/hopeful though. One of the things with the course is that, supposedly, it allows people to get crits and tips from the other students. The site however is absolutely atrocious in that regard, for reasons too many to recount here. No, I'm not grumpy that two days after submitting a text I still have no reviews, why do you ask? Well, ok, I am, but then one dude's been waiting for more than a week before anyone decided to drop a line. This is fairly annoying, but there are legitimate issues with the way critiquing is organized.

Anyway. There's always Critique Circle. That one's way better in all respects, including its system of crits and queues. I always planned to submit RwN to CC too, but I hoped for some input from the class first. Looks like that won't be quite reliable. Replan and adapt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of "Mind over money"

Parity Games: Intro

Dark Magics to avoid